The Shop on Blossom Street - Debbie Macomber

I just learned about this website today and it is definitely right up my alley.  I read all the time.  I have chronic pain and other health issues so reading is my escape.  I started a regular blog on blogger but I haven't been keeping up with it.  I realized it is because I haven't been into anything but reading lately.

I just learned about Hoopla digital a few days ago and downloaded it.  Since then, I have listened to two audio books.  I found the audio book for the book I just finished reading and listened to it.  I really don't like abridged audio books but I don't mind so much when I've read the books before.

I decided to reread the Blossom Street Series by Debbie Macomber.  I really enjoyed the first several (maybe 6?) books I had and I've read them multiple times.  I got to Hannah's List and just couldn't get interested in that one.  I loved all the others before that one, especially Susannah's Garden.  I recently noticed that there were more books to the series that I missed so I picked them up.  I decided to start back at the beginning and read my way through again or listen to the audio books available through the library.  Now I use Fictfact.com to keep track of my series.

The Shop on Blossom Street

I feel a real connection with Lydia in this series.  I haven't had cancer but I identify so much with a lot of what she says.  In the very beginning when she is trying to get her older sister to understand what she is going through she said it was as if her sister thought she had chosen to have cancer.  That is also how I feel about my family or friends sometimes. Either they think I should just deal with it, smile and think about puppies and rainbows and I'll be all better, or they think I'm just being weak and whining too much.  No one really understood or seemed willing to listen.  Lydia's sister Margaret finally comes around though.  First, she had her own cancer scare when a lump was found in her breast. Lydia went with her to the follow-up appointment and everything ended up okay.  Then, Lydia had another cancer scare.  Another tumor had formed and had to be removed. Her sister was with her through that and seemed to grow a heart.  I won't say more about this as I don't want to spoil the story for anyone.

In this book, Lydia decided to open a yarn store as her affirmation of life.  She opened the shop with an apartment upstairs using inheritance money from her grandmother. She decided to have a knitting class to draw people into the store, the first project being a baby blanket.  The pattern for that blanket is in the front of the book and I started it.  Maybe I'll finish it someday.

Three very different women signed up for the class.  Lydia wasn't sure the class was going to go well since 2 of the women kept butting heads.  They grew on each other though and ended up becoming very close friends.  I really like Alix because she reminds me of myself.  She is an individual who likes to be different.  Alix wears black and has purple spiked hair.  She is a bit rough around the edges since she had a rough childhood.

Carol decided to sign up for the class when she saw they were making a baby blanket. She wanted desperately to be a mother but so far hadn't been able to carry a pregnancy to term.  She decided this was a sign from God that she was going to need a baby blanket for her child.

Jacqueline is a high society woman who is used to being catered to. She isn't happy about her son's choice for a wife and now they are expecting a baby.  She was hoping her son would come to his senses, realize his mistake and escape from that sham of a marriage.  A baby complicates things though.  Her husband doesn't understand her problem with their daughter in law and encourages her to take the knitting class to make a blanket for their granddaughter.

These three women, so different but all with the same goal, attend the class determined to master the challenge, even if they can't stand each other.