A Good Yarn

— feeling love
A Good Yarn - Debbie Macomber

I just finished listening to the audiobook for this today. I'm loving Hoopla digital.  Up until last weekend, I rarely left my house.  I ordered books on amazon.com or from paperbackswap.com.  My books showed up in the mailbox and one of my sons would bring them to me and even open the box for me.  I spend a lot of days in bed in too much pain to move around much.  I send out my used books using paperbackswap's printable postage so I don't have to go to the post office. I just print the wrapper, wrap it up well and stick it in the mailbox.  In the wintertime, my boys take the books out to the mailbox for me.  If you've never heard of paperbackswap, it is a great website for swapping used books.  When someone requests one of my books I wrap it up like I mentioned above, paying media mail postage, and then I get a credit that I can use to request a book I want. I don't have to pay anything other than the credit to request a book.

Anyway, last weekend I was feeling a bit better and wanted to go out for lunch with my husband. He was surprised.  After that, we went to the library and renewed our library cards. I haven't used mine for years. My husband's card was so old he had to get a new card but I just needed to update and get a sticker for mine.  When I got home that day a friend online mentioned Hoopla digital and I downloaded the app.   I've now listened to 2 audiobooks and it was nice to be able to just rest in bed when I wasn't feeling well and just listen.

A Good Yarn

Linda Emond does a wonderful job reading.  Her voice is easy to understand and easy to listen to.  This is a heartwarming story of Lydia's second year running her knitting shop, A Good Yarn. She decides to have another knitting class, this time teaching how to make socks using two circular needles. When I read this book the first time I also made the sock pattern from the front of the book which has instructions for the 5 needle method also. It is neat when you understand exactly what they are talking about when they are at the knitting class. When they were struggling I understood.

In this story, the characters are all dealing with their own struggles. Elise, a retired school librarian, invested in a new home only to learn the contractor filed for bankruptcy. Now she is wrapped up in a class action suit and she had to move in with her daughter. Bethanne woke up on Valentine's Day to her husband asking for a divorce and now has to find a job so she can help support her 2 teenaged children. Courtney, a young girl whose mother died in a car accident, has to move to Seattle and live with her grandmother for her senior year. She is overweight and is feeling so sad and alone. She misses her family and her friends in Chicago. Lydia and her sister also have their own issues to work through but they are there for each other. Lydia never thought she would be so close to her sister. She also has the 3 ladies from her first knitting class that has become great friends. Together, these women all help to support each other through their difficult times and grow closer in the process.