The Underground Railroad (Oprah's Book Club): A Novel - Colson Whitehead

This book was horribly sad, it tore my heart open repeatedly. I don't usually read books like this but it was chosen for a book club I wanted to attend. I couldn't even get through the first page without crying. I had to put it down to rest my heart. I never made it to that book club meeting.

I know it is fiction and one major detail was changed but that didn't take away from the story. I know that the majority of the book was close enough to the real thing and the terror that people endured was just as real. I have read about the horrible things that humans did to other humans because of the color of their skin and it is heart-rending. I wish it all could be considered fiction but the sad truth is that this horrible story was a reality for too many souls. There is language that I like to avoid but in this book, it is part of the reality.

I feel wounded now and think I'll go back to reading total nonsense fiction.

Spoiler below

The train and tunnels.

I was a little annoyed at first by the railroad.  Everyone knows it wasn't a real train running underground but this story makes it that.  The more I read though, the more I saw the symbolism in it and became okay with it.  There might not have really been trains and tracks under the ground but in this book, they lifted up a hidden door in the ground and stepped down into a tunnel and then up to a real train that would take them away.  They might not be actually free but they were free for a time and had a chance to taste freedom.