SPOILER ALERT!

Regurgitation: Details from books that bother me

The Underground Railroad (Oprah's Book Club): A Novel - Colson Whitehead Mermaid Moon (A Sunset Cove Novel) - Colleen Coble

Today is a pain day for me.  FYI: I have Fibromyalgia and RA.  Every day is a pain day to a degree but today it is making it hard for me to concentrate on reading.  This is when I turn to audiobooks or think about the books I have recently read and especially, the things that bothered me about them.  I may seem a little more snarky than usual but that is just another side-effect of being me.  I'll be back to normal later.

The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

Thinking back on this book I wonder about the part (Chapter/section) about the doctor that was digging up graves to dissect for his medical school requirements.  I thought that seemed to stick out like a sore thumb.  I am not a writer but it seems to me like that part of the book did not belong in the story, at least not in the way it was added.  It was like if you were talking to someone about something that happened at work and then suddenly switched to talking about how you sometimes like to climb into a bathtub filled with jello and roll around it in totally naked, and then went right back to talking about work again.  After that, there was only one small mention of that doctor's name near the end.

Is that a super secret writing technique?

I know grave robbing was something that was done then and I guess he really wanted to include it.  I think he should have made it a larger part of the book and maybe connected it with the main characters somehow.  I was waiting for him to dig up Mabel.

I also read (in random history stuff) about doctors who performed experimental surgeries on slaves and children.  One poor woman had to go through over 30 surgeries before she died.  That is a horrible thing that I can't even fathom and he could have used that to make this section seem more worthy of inclusion.

Okay, another book I recently read and really liked is Mermaid Moon by Colleen Coble.  I was mulling over some of the details from that book and one thing really stands out and makes me want to ask Colleen on which planet that would happen. This is in the exciting part of the book when...

Hailey has been kidnapped and Mallory is going back to her house in Bangor, Maine as per the kidnapper's demands. The Sheriff there has arranged for deputies to be at the house to protect her and hopefully be able to get Hailey back safely.  Only, one of the deputies had to go pee. He must have drunk a gallon of coffee with his donuts and really had to go bad.  So bad, in fact, that he left his post to go next door to go pee and let the bad guy sneak in and grab the mom and haul her off, lock her in the creepy basement of some house and then set it on fire.  Why Colleen, why?  Couldn't he have requested someone else to take his place or put a crimp in it?  Seriously!

(show spoiler)

Why don't the spoiler code tags work for this post?  I know it says "Spoiler" at the top but the code tags in the text do not appear to be working.

Thanks to Debbie for telling me how to fix the spoiler tags.  She said, "Sometimes with the spoiler tags you need to delete them, then highlight the spoiler text and click the "sp" spoiler icon again."  That worked!