The ultimate sadness
The ultimate sadness

Our family is a reading family and both me and my husband are big readers. I started to read to my first son when he was a baby. He was reading at 3 years old and reading Harry Potter on his own soon after that. My younger son was more into music but I was finally able to get him interested in books also.

I forget that there are families that are not like ours and do not have books in every room of their house and stacks by their beds. I remember one time when my oldest son went to a birthday party when he was still pretty young (Kindergarten I think). When he came home I asked him how the party was. He started sputtering and said wide-eyed, "They don't have any books!" He was shocked. He said they didn't have any books, magazines or newspapers etc. The funniest thing was when he said, "They don't even read cereal boxes!" He must have asked them.

Reading is a gift and a privilege and parents and teachers should present it that way and not like a chore. Many teachers do but not mine. Of course, I know I'm preaching to the choir here. I digress.