White Nights

White Nights  - Ann Cleeves

New to my bucket list - go to Shetland

In a small community, a strange newcomer shows up at an art exhibit opening. While admiring the art he suddenly becomes very emotional and makes a big scene. He claims he doesn't remember who he is or where he is from. Later, he is found hanging from the rafters of an old fishing hut. It looked like a suicide but the death was determined to be murder. Everyone becomes suspect and Jimmy Perez begins questioning everyone. He himself feels guilty because he talked to the man when he became emotional at the gallery and tried to help him. He didn't go after the man when he took off though and he felt responsible for his death. With the help of Taylor from Inverness, Jimmy is determined to figure out what happened to this man no one knows.

I loved this book and the chance to learn more about Shetland. I was just as fascinated in learning about the place as I was in the mystery. I googled many details about the place and looked up a lot of terms I didn't know. I even looked up a recipe for oat cakes and can't wait to make some. I was also intrigued to learn about the "midnight sun" or "white nights" which we also have where I live in Alaska. I looked at my son's globe and noticed that Alaska lines up with Shetland between the same two latitude lines close to the north pole so in some ways where I live is similar.

The story was very complicated and I was never sure who was to blame. Ann Cleeves is a master at weaving stories that are so unpredictable. The characters are well built and I felt like I knew them and could visualize their homes and their way of life. Just like with the first book there was a character that seemed the more obvious choice for the killer and I knew it wouldn't be that person BUT Ann would always leave me second guessing myself. As the story progressed I ended up thinking everyone in the book could be guilty at some point. Ann Cleeves has now become a favorite author for me and I've already ordered the next book in the series.