Tides - Betsy Cornwell

I haven't been around for a while because I haven't been feeling well.  I also haven't been able to focus on reading.  I have only been able to knit and crochet and I've made a few gifts.  I did have a good thanksgiving which we spent at my brother in law's new house.  I mostly liked not having to cook everything.  My birthday was on the 27th and I had a great day then too.  I got the best presents.  First, I had decided I wanted to donate my birthday to St. Jude's Research Hospital on facebook.  We raised $250. My oldest son kept buying me chocolate.  He knows my weakness.  Then my youngest son handed me something really quick as he dashed out the door.  It was a new laptop.  I was stunned.  He had to work during Black Friday and I guess he was able to get one of the deals they had on a break.  It is really nice.

I did manage to get my Christmas tree up.  We tossed our old artificial tree last year because it was falling apart.  I wanted a smaller one that I didn't need help putting up.  No one ever wants to help put it up and I hate waiting.  My husband bought a tree that isn't all the much shorter but it is not as bushy and it fits in a pretty small box.  I was able to put it up myself and just had to wait for someone to bring out my ornaments.  It is decorated now and I just need to put some gifts under it and hopefully Buddy (the beagle) doesn't tear them up.  He hasn't tried to mess with the tree but I did move it a bit to one side and put a chair beside it so Buddy can jump up and look out the window.  He's a watcher.

I finally finished reading this book and it took me so much longer than usual.  I just couldn't think or get comfortable for very long at a time.  I wish I could feel better but I do what I can do.

Tides by Betsy Cornwell

I enjoyed this story.  This story was different than what I am used to reading. I tend to stick to reality. I enjoyed this book about Selkies and how the author blended a little fantasy with reality. The descriptions were great and I felt like I could hear and see the waves crashing against the shoals. The story was touching and a blend of happiness and sadness.

Noah and his sister Lo are spending the summer with their grandmother on the Isle of Shoals.  Noah was granted an internship there and thought it would be good for his sister to get away for a while.  He is worried about her because she has an eating disorder.  He is hoping some time away from their father's negative comments about her size will help her.  They learn some interesting things about their grandmother while they are there and meet some friends they will never forget.

This is my book for Bon Om Touk.

Book themes for Bon Om Touk: Read a book that takes place on the sea, near the sea, or on a lake or a river, or read a book that has water on the cover.