Twilight at Blueberry Barrens (A Sunset Cove Novel) - Colleen Coble

This is the third book in the Sunset Cove series and it is my least favorite by far.

Kate is the main focus of this book and she is somehow both bold and brave and completely stupid at the same time.  The author is making her out to be this brazen woman who speaks her mind but then she is doing some pretty dumb things.  There have been reports of a peeping tom in the area where she lives and then a woman is found murdered but Kate can´t sleep so she decides to go sit outside on the porch at night and sip a cup of tea.  I was really annoyed by several instances in the book when she realizes someone has been in her house or she hears a noise in her basement but she doesn´t want to tell anyone or report it to the police because they will just think she is overreacting.  I also knew who the murderer/rapist/peeping tom was well in advance and was hoping I was wrong but no.....  There was other stuff going on too that I didn´t see coming so that was good.  Instead of a strong character though, Kate comes off as weak and whiny.

Kate meets Drake when he comes to Maine to investigate the deaths of his brother and sister-in-law. The police believe it was a murder/suicide but Drake is sure his brother would never kill his wife.  He rents a cottage from Kate and hires her to be a nanny to his two nieces who are now in his care.  Of course he is perfect in every way and falls in love with Kate while they work to unravel the details of what happened.

This is my book for Square 14.

Book themes for Dies Natalis Solis Invicti: Celebrate the sun and read a book that has a beach or seaside setting. –OR– a book set during summertime. –OR– set in the Southern Hemisphere.