Safe Haven - Nicholas Sparks

I was actually able to squeeze in this book just before the end of February.  I read most of it on Leap day.  I'm following The Unread Shelf my reading goals this year and one of the goals for February was to read a book that was a gift.  I had something else in mind for February and decided I wanted to read 4 books from my tbr list that I didn't have.  I was able to find them all digitally through my library for free.  I really didn't think I'd be able to read those and another gifted book so I didn't pick one out.

This one literally jumped off my shelf and landed on my toe.  I realized it was given to me by a friend so I decided to quickly read it before the month was up.  I don't like Romance so when I saw the cover of this book (mine was a picture from the movie) I didn't really think I'd like it.  I have read other books by Nicholas Sparks, like The Notebook, and they were SAD!  I was surprised though.  The book had my interest all the way through and the romancy sections were light and tolerable for me.  The end was a bit of a thriller and the whole story reminded me of Steven King's Rosemadder without the supernatural parts and Kind's madness.

A young woman is in an abusive relationship and is afraid for her life.  She can't go to the police because her husband IS the police.  The one time she did try to get help from them they talked her into not filing a police report to spare his reputation.  She tried to run away before but he found her and pulled a gun on her and beat her.  She knew he would kill her next time.  This time she had a better plan and a stolen identification from someone who had died.  She cut her hair and dyed it brown.  She got away to a small town where she could start fresh and tried to keep her head down.  She told everyone her name was Katie and rented an old hunting shack where she could be away from neighbors.  She didn't plan on falling in love with a sweet little girl at the local store.  This little girl stole her heart and then so did her brother and their widowed father.  Things seemed to be going great until her husband got a little nugget of information and from that he learned where she was and was determined to get her back.